Friday, September 21, 2012

Hi All - Thought I'd better send an update saying that things have gotten better than when I had no money, no food, no dishes, no sleep. Luckily in our group is a couple who are here for their 3rd year. They have been so generous with their time, showing us how things work around here, and where things are. Found out we can dry our clothes up on the roof (I also need to buy an indoor drying rack). We can get hot water any time from a spigot on the 2nd floor. Usually there's only hot water from 6-8am and 6-10pm and only in the bathroom. There's a cafeteria and a restaurant in our bldg (never would have know if the Campbells hadn't told us. No signs or advertisement anywhere.) My sleep schedule is getting turned around. I've been wide awake at 1am, then 3. This morning it was 5. So that''s getting better. I was very proud of myself for taking a solo trip in a taxi to go to the main bank office to deposit a certified check and trade some Am $ for Chinese currency. The Campbells loaned me some $ until I could get some cash. We take a bus or a taxi to go shopping (food, housewares, cleaning supplies, etc). There is a little convenience store at the corner of our bldg where I bought eggs, milk, and cereal, but I think I paid about $10 for the small box of Post brand cereal. I got my yucky bathroom cleaned today. The tub leaks and runs across the floor into a drain. The drain is where I plug in a hose from the washing machine that's in the kitchen, so it's damp and dark around there. Took some bleach and scrubbers to the floor and drain. It's better, but don't know how long it'll last. Classes start on Monday, but I still don't know my schedule or where I'll be teaching or how many students I'll have or where a copy machine is. They said we should know by Sunday! Okay. That's just the way it works here. By next week I'll have more things figured out. Love to all, Mona

1 comment:

  1. Yay Mom, you posted a picture! I really like your little place

    ReplyDelete